Serving Southampton & East End New York
Maintaining your pool or spa's water purity is a science. Perfect pool water is a balance of:
Proper PH balance - (between 7.2 and 7.8)
If the water is too alkaline, disinfecting chemicals work more slowly and may not work effectively. Scale may form on or in pool equipment, piping, or pool heater coils. If the water is too acidic, it can cause eye irritation, corrode equipment, even stain interior pool surfaces.
Proper chlorine level - if the level is too low, your water can turn cloudy or green and if its too high, you can suffer from eye irritation, rashes, even bleaching of swim suits. At Shinnecock Pools, we are registered technicians who specialize in water quality and water chemistry. We have tested thousands of pools and have extensive experience with alternative sanitizers. We recommend only one: ozone generators. Like all alternative sanitizers, a residual chlorine level must be maintained, or the pool needs to be super-chlorinated weekly. Plus the filter system will need to run continuously. We have found that ozone is an efficient sanitizer that greatly reduces the amount of chlorine in your pool or spa.
Nevertheless, we have found that chlorine, when properly balanced, is the most efficient way to maintain the cleanest, clearest water. We know it works well, and can guarantee the kind of water quality that is safe enough for a baby, every day of the week, all summer long.
The following is the formula for optimal pool water:
• Free chlorine: 1.0 to 2.0 parts per million (PPM)
• Total chlorine chloramines: 0 PPM
• Potential Hydrogen: PH 7.4 to 7.6 Acid Demand: if PH is above 7.6
• Alkali Demand: if PH is below 7.4
• Total Alkalinity: 80 to 125 marble dust (gunite); 125 to 150 painted or vinyl
• Cyanuric acid (a chlorine stabliizer): 40 PPM
• Calcium hardness: 200 to 500 PPM marble dust (gunite); 175 to 225 PPM painted or vinyl
• Iron: 0 PPM
• Copper: 0 PPM